I am literally crying as I write this. Don't worry, I'm not hurt and I didn't lose anyone. But I am listening to my new favorite song for the 36th time, "The Best Day", by Taylor Swift. It's all about your family and what you have and what you don't realize your parents have done for you. I'm learning the lyrics and guitar chords so I can play it for my parents. But here's a list of what my parents have done for me. They have done so much for me I can't list it all, but I will list the top 20 things they've done for me. They have done so much for me that I haven't realized. That's why I'm crying. They are happy tears, though, because I know I am loved by so many people.
Here's the list (not in any particular order).
1. They've always supported me in anything I wanted to try, from learning to play the guitar to making meals for everyone.
2. They're always there when I need them. It may seem like they don't care or don't understand sometimes, but I know that what hurts me hurts them, and if something upsets my parents, I'm upset too.
3. They let my friends come over a lot. That doesn't seem like something very big, but it takes a toll on them having to listen to a bunch of giggling teenage girls for a few hours once a week or so.
4. They buy me so many things, clothes, food, etc. I can't think of a good way to write it because that sounds snotty. I meant that they don't have to buy me clothes and food and water and stuff, they could just let me muddle through. But they don't.
5. Even when I don't talk to them for two days, they are always ready and waiting with open arms for an apology.
6. They tell me I look great when I'm having a really bad hair day.
7. They let me have a cell phone so I could easily keep in touch with all of my friends, even though they knew it probably meant less time with them.
8. They teach me how to be a better person, and they know I listen, even though it may seem like I don't.
9. They value my opinion and I value theirs just as much.
10. They listen to me practice guitar and singing with my door closed for hours and always tell me I'm getting better.
11. If I come out of school looking happy, and once I get in the car break down crying, they know exactly what happened and what to say.
12. They mess up sometimes. So does everyone. It makes me feel like I don't have to be perfect.
13. If I am in a bad mood, they know exactly what flavor of ice cream will cheer me up.
14. When I'm mad and say I hate them, they know all that means is, "I love you and I know you're right I just can't deal with it right now."
15. My parents take me so many places. I've been to 6 countries outside of the U.S.A. and I know not many other people can claim the same. They know I appreciate them taking me to the places everyone wants to go.
16. They buy the kind of salsa they hate just so I can be happy.
17. When my best friend called at 10:30 pm, they took me to her house to give her a hug.
18. If I come home with a good grade or test score, they tell me how proud they are.
19. If I come home with a bad grade or test score, they work with me to improve.
20. They know what I can do and will help me do it.
Oh jeez that list made me cry more. Happy tears, happy happy happy.
Anyway, please consider this list. Even if you don't live with your parents, think about all the things everyone in your life has done for you. Your best friend has probably given up a lot of things so she could hang out with you. Your aunt might have given up a Saturday just so you could horribly play the piano for her when you were 4 years old. Maybe that teacher you thought hated you gave you a hug when you felt sick. Whatever it was, everyone has done something for you. Look closer.