Hi, my name's Nico511. Today, I'm going to share the definition of newb, scamming, and two other common Whyville terms. Personally, the words I chose are too often misused so I am going to tell you what they actually mean. I will be using examples I commonly see in chatroom both on and outside of Whyville.
"OMG she didnt give my free part! scammer!!1!"
"That girl never gives BC prizes she's a scammer!"
"Scammer" is a very common and sadly very misused word. It rather annoys me when people misuse it. Here is the definition.
Definition of Scam (courtesy of dictionary.com)
1. a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle.
Hmm . . . but what's "swindle"? That's a rather uncommon word . . .
Definition of Swindle (courtesy of dictionary.com)
verb (used with object)
1. to cheat (a person, business, etc.) out of money or other assets.
Basically, "scam", which is a more urban word for "swindle", means cheating someone out of their money (like promising a trade; ([x] clams for [x] face part, etc.) so not giving someone a prize for a giveaway or a contest in the case that you did not give him or her any asset is NOT a scam.
Again, if you did not give the person money, voucher, etc. yet he or she gave no prize would NOT be a scam. I don't think there is a technical term for that, anyways.
"Dude you move clicking the mouse you newb!"
"Hey, im not a newb1!!!!1! bully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Newb" is a rather common word that is usually taken as an insult; so all you people out there being called a newb, listen up!
Definition of Newb (courtesy of urbandictionary.com)
1. Someone who is new to the activity that they are currently partaking in. Very often this term is used pertaining to computer games. Contrary to popular belief, a newb and a n00b are not the same thing, as a newb can and will get better where as a n00b will partake in activates meant mainly to aggravate other players.
So, basically, a "newb" is just a word used to describe somebody that's new to a game. So please, do NOT take it as an insult!
"lol you are so poor like yo mamma!!1!"
"Quit being a n00b."
"N00b", often confused with "newb", is actually much different and it could be used as an insult.
Definition of n00b (courtesy of urbandictionary.com)
1. A n00b is a player or member of an online game or forum who acts in a generally arrogant and rude manner.
To clear up any confusion, a "n00b" is just a term for someone who is annoying, rude, etc. It *could* be another term for "troll".
"Hey, can you help me?"
"Sure, but can you help me? Which part of your face do you think is the ugliest?"
"Troll" is a commonly used word on the BBS.
Definition of troll (courtesy of urbandictionary.com)
1. One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
Although similar to n00bs, they're generally more annoying than them and can sometimes really hurt a person.
Thanks for reading!
Author's Note: Sources: urbandictionary.com; dictionary.com